Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My Friday Night Girl Crush... Marnie Stern




I have a girl crush on Marnie Stern. I expressed this notion to my date Friday night, February 18. When we attended the kick off show for Tera Melos and Marnie Stern tour. She took the stage in a Ghostbuster t-shirt with an awkward yet endearing spit fire energy. And ripping into her guitar she played fast chords and experimented with new strumming techniques, inspired by her best friend who was in the audience. The music (in my definition) is a instrumental punk, a little bit of Deerhoof a little bit of X-Ray Spex. Immediately her performance captured the essence of girl 70's punk bands. Even between songs left me wondering if this would be the set filler that Debbie Harry might ramble off to her band mates. When the drummers snare broke second song in the set, the bassist and Marnie were left to their own demise going into a childish banter about vagina's. She possesses a sweetness mixed with a hard liquor edge. Although the audience may not physically been as responsive, since most were just standing in place with little to a head nod. I think it's only a matter of time before they gain their audience and her fans will be able to send as much energy back to the band as they send out to the crowd.

* I would review more of Tera Melos but most of their show I was stuck near the bar eating a pizza or being bumped into by drunk people. From what I caught the band gave their all, the guitarist at some point even playing the air guitar while another member of the band soloed out. The music inspired a circle pit started at some point, and who doesn't love a good circle pit. The Echo went from less than half full around 8:00pm to full on packed for Tera Melos a lone. Their music is even more electrifying live than recorded. You can tell these musicians LOVE what they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...