Friday, May 6, 2011

Juuri: Schwartzenegger Sidekick w/ a Skip-It


Name: JUURI
Nickname: My family calls me G-ya for some reason.
Sign: Capricorn

Favorite:
Cookie. I like cookies that aren't overly sweet. I am very Japanese in that way.
Color. Fuchsia?
Season. Spring, because everything is new and refreshed.

Q1. What is the best show (music) you have ever been too?
A1.The most exciting show of my life wasn't a concert, but "Guys and Dolls" in London. It was exciting b/c Ewan McGregor was singing live. I think my heart melted through my ears.

Q2. If you could live in any time period or be anyone dead or alive, who would you be or where would you go?
A2. I would live in Jane Austen's day in England and frolic the countryside in my poofy dress and bonnet.

Q3. What is something you hate doing, but must do anyways?
A3. Exercise. Uhhhhh it's so BORING! But I like how I feel afterwards. I have to do all sorts of mind tricks to myself to get me to run.

Q4. If you had to give up one of your 5 senses, which one would you abandon?
A4. I guess I would have to relinquish smell. But wait, would that diminish taste too? That's sort of not fair.

Q5. Most rewarding moment of your life thus far?
A5. Probably when I realized that I can persue my art career if I really want to. I had been told my whole life that no-one makes a living as a fine artist. But now, the internet is changing things in a brilliant way.

Q6. If you owned a parrot, what would you teach it to say?
A6. I would teach it to talk like Jack Bauer. How awesome would that be? And then I'd also make it say lines from "Nacho Libre." Non-stop entertainment and thrills all day long!

Q7. How old were you the first time you got drunk? How was the experience?
A7. Hey, I was properly 21. It was in London, and I really wasn't that drunk... I just started waving at people more vigorously than usual and speaking in an East London accent. O_o

Q8. Biggest Pet Peeve?
A8. People who use atrocious grammar and spelling, and people who have no desire to learn about other cultures or to travel.

Q9. What was your childhood ambition?
A9. To be an artist. I'm really fortunate. There was also one time when I wanted to be Arnold Schwartzenegger's sidekick. I guess... I could move to California and do both?

Q10. Is there any toy you really wanted as a kid but was never given? Did you ever buy it for yourself when you got older?
A10. When I was 7, I was mesmerized out of my mind by the "Skip-It" commercials. Remember that amazing song that went with it? Well, my parents said it was all just marketing and I should use a jump rope for free. I actually forgot about that until now. I WANT TO TRY ONE.


I came across Juuri's artwork on facebook. What drew me to it, was not only the clear beauty that her Japanese women possess but the means in which she captures there cultural essence. Through use of fabric, paper, and paint she brings these 2 dimensional women to life. Cutting out the subject at times and reapplying it to a abstract background made of paint drips and dry brush techniques. Her use of watercolor helps to suspend her girls in a state of serenity or thought. She has a way of creating a very controlled chaos, which to me is very culturally Japanese. One does not show emotion regardless of what is internal, creating a facade of perfection on the outside. With her composed women surrounded by a beautiful chaos, reflects this battle of inner and outer perception.

Please check out more of Juuri's work on her website




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...