I knew Sleigh Bells were coming to town and going to play at the Detroit Bar, a small Orange County bar/venue, for over a month or two. And I also knew I wasn't going to have money for the tickets until day of, but that didn't matter as the tickets had sold out the week before. Desperate for a ticket, knowing this band WILL blow up, I needed to see them in a small venue. I don't like amphitheaters and I don't like seeing bands in big amphitheaters. I want to be able to be right up against the stage with out paying for 500+ ticket. Well thanks to StubHub and my Bestie I was able to get a ticket for the Detroit Bar and I am so superbly ecstatic that I did.
This show is now rotating in my top three favorite shows of all time. Alexis is a firebomb of energy, confidence and basically a complete bad ass. Metal music blasted through the 6 or 8 speakers they had stacked on the stage. An entrance that defined this band as rockers not pop stars. Derek, the one and only, guitarist ripped into his instrument as they immediately jumped into their first song. Playing with such force and volume that they kept on breaking the PA. But it didn't matter as the crowd chanted the missing guitar parts. Alexis is not short on energy feeds off the the crowd and wants to give them twice as much love as they are throwing back at her. Dancing and running around the stage, singing into fans faces; she more than engages the crowd, she dominates them.
Everyone was dancing with arms in the air, whipping their hair back and forth, singing a long to the lyrics. Its more than impressive the shear fandom Sleigh Bells has already garnered and they only have one album. If there was any "negative" thing that could have been said for their performance, that is across the board noticeable, is that at times Alexis voice sounds strained or cracked. She can not control her vocals . But then how could you when your loosing control in the music. When I left the Detroit Bar that night my hair was dripping with sweat, my clothes were damp with sweat, make up smeared, and ears ringing with the music long after it had stopped. In my humble opinion this show was a musical orgasm.
*A Midnight Review: A review of topic (show/album/book) written at midnight with complete disregard for grammar, sense, or reason. Just an out pouring of thoughts; uncensored and genuine, filled with emotion whether it be boredom or love.
No comments:
Post a Comment